More than one donning and doffing method may be acceptable to your facility. The method listed below is recommended by the CDC. Good information as a reminder, especially at this time.
Gather your PPE
- Isolation gown
- NIOSH approved N-95 filtering face piece respirator or appropriate face mask
- Face shield or goggles
- Disposable gloves
Use hand sanitizer or wash with soap and water for 20 seconds
Put on isolation gown and tie at the neck and waist.
Put on the N-95 respirator or face mask.
Perform a user skill check.
- Cover the surface of the respirator with your hands and exhale. The face piece should bulge slightly.
- Take in a quick breath and the mask should collapses slightly.
- If air escapes then re-adjust
Put on face shield or goggles.
Use hand sanitizer or wash with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Put on gloves. They should cover over the wrist of the gown.
Remove and discard your gloves. For the glove-in-glove method.
- Pinch the outside of the one glove near the wrist pulling downward, wrong side out
- Slide a finger underneath the ungloved hand pulling down – inside out.
- Remove your gown. Roll downward away from the body and dispose.
- Hand sanitize or wash with soap and water paying close attention to where the glove met the gown.
- Carefully remove the shield, pulling upward and outward being careful to not touch the face shield or goggles.
- Remove and discard the respirator or face mask by the straps being careful in not touching the facial portion.
- Wash thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds.